Hello, friends in this article I am going to tell you about What is Cast iron | What is Wrought iron and What is Steel. So I hope you will get full knowledge about it.
Iron is a hard metal used for different types of construction work like to make beam and column of steel, to make equipment like a spade, scissors hammer, etc. These are also useful for making vehicles frame, making crane body or making it on the gate. There is a huge rate of using different types of iron and steel according to their uses and need.
So let’s move toward What is Cast iron | What is Wrought iron.
a) Cast iron:- Cast iron is a more purified form of iron, which contains less amount of impurities that in the pig iron. This is obtained by remelting of pig iron in the blast furnace-like structure known as a cupola.
Properties if cast iron:-
- Cast iron is neither malleable nor ductile.
- Cast irons are Brittle in nature.
- It is less corrosive
- It is Good in compression but weak in tension.
- It Can’t be welded together.
- It’s Melting point 1200°c.
- It’s Specific gravity 7.5
- It can be Soften in saline water.
- It Can be hardened but can’t tamper.
b) Wrought iron:- Wrought iron is a pure form of pig iron. It is a purified form of iron. It contains 99.5% pure iron and 0.5% other matter.(I,e, carbon, sulfide, phosphide, silica, magnesium, silica, and slag). It is ductile in nature.
Properties of wrought iron:-
- Wrought iron is Malleable and ductile.
- It’s Melting point 1500°c
- It’s Specific gravity 7.8
- It is Less corrosive (rusting)
- It can be welded together
- It is Good in tension and compression both.
c) Steel:- Steel is the alloy of iron and carbon steel now a days becomes the backbone of civil engineering construction. Steel may be plain steel alloy. Plain carbon steel is the at which carbon only forms alloy about 92% steel is produced from plain carbon steel and 8% is found from alloy.
Properties of steel are:-
- Steel possesses high strength than other forms of the iron. i.e, cast and wrought iron.
- It can absorb shock and elastic.
- It is malleable in ductile.
- It’s melting point is 1300°c to 1400°c
- Its specific gravity is 7.85
- Heat treatment can be done in the stream to improve drain distribution and quality of steel.
- Some steel has corrosion resistance but plain carbon steel is defected by corrosion.
So, friends, I hope this article on the Difference between cast iron, wrought iron, and mild steel remains helpful for you.
Different between Compaction and Consolidation