Insulating material:- All those material that related or stoop the flow of heat or electricity or sound through them may be broadly defined as insulators or insulating material. Properties of thermal insulating materials are very easy to understand as it is just opposite to the conductors.
The thermal conductivity is defined as the property of materials to pass heat through it. As we know that insulator or insulating material does not allow to pass heat through it, its thermal conductivity becomes zero.
There are different types of insulating materials. They are given below after that I will tell you about the properties of thermal insulating materials.
1) Heat insulator:- This material is required for grant protection against heat and cold. Its material are generally porous and their Properties are governed not only by their porosity but also for the nature of pores, it’s distribution, size and whether are closed or open. A bulk density of this material is below the 7000N/m3 and it’s coefficient of heat conductivity not exceed 0.18k.
In this material are good to use in building construction, it has reduced the heat losses to environmental medium toward wall structure and a result of this material, fuel consumption is reduced. In general, they can be started that the low heat conductivity of heat insulating material due to its air-filled process. This material can be protected by the moisture. The choice of this material depends its cost, covered area, and standards by the cost of required of cost of heat or cool.
The use of heat insulation material are rock wool, fibreboard, flexible blankets, sawdust, wood shavings, aluminium foils, a product of cement concrete, gypsum board, asbestos cement board, chipboard, foam glass, foam plastic etc.
2) Electrical insulator:- A body that can be said to possess electrification when it attracted other bodies, the attraction is a different form of gravitational attraction. Electrification is not a fundamental property of a matter because it remains unelectrified under the ordinary condition and it electrified only after electrification has manufactured by some cases.
The electrical insulators are divided into two types;
1) Conductor and
The Properties of thermal insulating materials are given as;
- It has high electrical resistivity.
- It has very low thermal expansion.
- It has low inflammable capacity.
- It may have high resistance to abrasion.
- It has desired chemically stability.
- It has been high moisture resistance.
- It has a high specific heat capacity.
- It does not has permeability property.
Some common types of thermal insulating materials are;
Mica, Asbestos, Rubber, Paper, Porcelain, Glass, Cotton etc.
So, friend, I hope this article on”Properties of thermal insulating materials” remains helpfull for you.