What is unit weight of steel?
The unit weight of steel is 7850 Kg/m cube. There are different types of steel used for construction like Mild steel plain bars, High yield strength deformed bars (Tor steel), Hard drawn steel wire, Rolled steel, etc. They are used for their own special characteristics.
Density of steel = (Mass/Volume)
and Volume = Area of steel x Length of steel
In the past, many traditional materials were used at the place of steel like bamboo and natural fibers. But till now steel has replaced almost all types of tensile materials.
Steels are used in construction due to following reason
- They are very strong in tension, shear, and torsion.
- It shows signs of failure before the steel is completely unusable due to its ductile behavior.
- Concrete can hold steel more tightly than other materials.
- Steel is easily available in nature.
- It has long life than other materials.
- It can be welded and joined together to form a high bond between them.
Although steel has many advantages it also has many disadvantages. they are given as.
- It gets rusted easily when it comes in contact with the atmosphere.
- It began to lose its strength when the temperature increases.
- It is somewhat expensive than other materials.
Types of steel reinforcement
As previously i have told you there are different types of steel found for construction. Now let us discuss them in more detail. According to the relevant Indian standards, there are following types of steel reinforcement.
- Mild steel plain bar
- High yield strength deformed bars
- Hard drawn steel wire fabric
- Rolled steel members
- Thermomechanically treated bars (TMT)
- Corrosion resistance steel bars ( CRS)
1) Mild steel Reinforcement
These steel bars are also known as Fe 250. It is very ductile in nature but it has low strength and low bond with concrete. Its yield strength is 250 N/mm sq.
2) High Yeild Strength Deformed Bars
It is also known as HYSD. Further, this steel has divided into two types, Hot rolled high yield strength bars and Cold worked high yield strength bars. It has high strength than Mild steel because it has a higher percentage of carbon than mild steel.
3) TMT (Thermomechanically Treated) Steel Bars
Among all types of steel it is most expensive because it has high strength, high ductility, better weld ability and low corrosion rate.
4) Corrosion resistance steel ( CRS)
In this steel bars, corrosion resistance element such as chromium has used and has less carbon content than other types of steel so, they are less corrosive and has high strength capacity.
5) Steel Wire Fabric
This types of steel are used for wire for binding purpose. This is also called mesh wire.
6) Structural steel
This type of steel is used where a high amount of load has to be transferred. It is used in a structure like a column, footing, joist, channel, etc.
Characteristic strength of steel
Mild steel – Fe 250 – 250 N/mm sq.
High strength – Fe 415 – 415 N/mm sq.
HYSD – Fe 550 – 550 N/mm sq.
TMT or CRS bars – Fe 500 – 500 N/mm sq.
Steel wire fabric – 480 N/mm sq.
Unit weight of different building materials
Download Excell Sheet of unit weight of steel and different materials.
While estimating or valuating the building you may need the format of excel sheet for unit weight of different materials. So, i am providing you a prepared format of excel sheet which will help you somewhat.
so, friends, I hope this article on “Unit weight of steel rod” remains helpful for you.