The word WPC Board stands for wood polymer composite board or wood plastic composite, as polymer and plastic meanings the same. WPC is made by the integration of wood with thermoplastic, in which a bond is created between them using resins.
If calculated in percentage and to be precise Wpc board contains 70% of virgin polymer, 15% of wood powder (doesn’t necessarily have to be natural wood, it might be anything. Maybe recycled wood as well.), and the remaining 15% contain additive-chemicals.
Wood powder is used here with the purpose of increasing weight and decreasing high flexibility due to plastic on the board.
When it comes to our need for wood in our lifestyle, it is huge. Even though we are aware that it leads to deforestation, the demand for wood is not on the verge of decreasing.
But guess what? WPC boards are and can be used as a perfect alternative for natural wood and plywood.
So, Wpc boards are the perfect remedy for all the problems that we have been facing related to plywood. Hence, without being a single tree cut, the Wpc board gratifies our eager want towards plywood.
They are available in three qualities in the market. They are Low density, Medium Density, and High density. We can use any type of board among the three according to our needs.
We use low-density boards in name-plate or signboards or any space where less strength is required. Also, we can use high-density Wpc board in floors, kitchen area, outdoor furniture, etc.
Applications of WPC board
The applications of the Wpc board are intangible. They can be used for both interior and exterior space or area of the structure. They can even be used for advertisements.
- WPC board can be used in interior applications without any doubt. They can be used in wardrobes, bathroom vanities, door and windows frames and railing, kitchen cabinets, home and coffee furniture, wall paneling, interior ceiling, industrial sections, interior flooring, etc.
- For exterior applications, the Wpc board can be used in garden/park fencing or any other outdoor fencing, exterior wall cladding, construction as shuttering boards, outdoor deck flooring, outdoor desks like in the park, prefabrication house, etc.
- WPC boards can be used in the context of advertisements as well. They can be used in the nameplate, signboards, display boards, direct digital printings, etc.
Advantages of WPC
- WPC boards are environment-friendly material (as they don’t contain formaldehyde, lead, methanol, urea, and other hazardous chemicals) which are completely safe to use. This board also has enough resistance to bear massive climatic conditions and prevents water, fire, and chemicals.
- It is a polymer contained material making itself fire-extinguishing. So, it doesn’t ignite the fire when in touch with the fire source.
- They are supremely durable because they are 100% termite-proof and waterproof.
- As required, Wpc can be molded in different shapes and sizes. So, it gives a rich and elegant look with fine polishing which can be used in designer doors and windows.
- WPC boards consist of stabilizing agents, modifiers, foaming agents, and such elements that require a strict mixing ratio. Because of the perfect containment of these high-quality materials, Wpc boards are high-quality material and comes with assured quality.
- They are highly resistive to borer attack, rot, and decay and are also highly non-corrosive.
- They also look attractive as they undergo advanced and modern surface treatment using paint or during thermal transfer.
- They are durable, high-strength material and a cost-efficient substitute to plywood.
WPC Board disadvantages
- The cost of Wpc material is higher as compared to other materials used for the same purpose.
- WPC contains both, polymer and wood. As a result, the shortcoming of both the material will be present in it.
- WPC material doesn’t have natural wood texture due to which the feeling of natural wood is missing especially when furniture and door are prepared.
- WPC material’s resistance to extreme temperature is comparatively lower than the woods. Especially in kitchen areas, when we put kitchen utensils having temperatures more than 70degree Celsius on the Wpc board then it melts.
WPC board price (in India)
The prices of the Wpc board depend upon the density (high, medium, low), thickness, brand, and location. The price of the Wpc board in India is approximately 95/- per sqft for the thickness of 18 mm.
I hope this article on “WPC Board | Applications, Advantages, Disadvantages” remains helpful for you.
Happy Learning – Civil Concept
Civil Engineer – Mohan Khadka