Pipes are very important items for the water supply systems. It is used to transfer water from one place to another place with minimum effort. There is various way of supplying water from one place to another like drains, canal, etc. but they can not be used for safe drinking water like pipes flow.
There are different types of pipes for plumbing that are used for water supply. Here I have described the different types of pipes used and their joint component.
Types oTypes of pipe for plumbing
- Cast iron pipe
- Steel Pipes
- Galvanized Iron pipes
- Copper pipes
- Polythene pipes
1. Cast iron pipes
Cast iron (CI) pipes are broadly used pipes. These types of pipes are more commonly used in water distribution at different levels because they are less expensive, corrosion-resistant, and long-lasting in nature.
Generally, these types of pipes are much heavy and in length, it’s about 3-6 m. These pipes require extra care while transporting and making connections to the pipe to prevent damaging the pipes.
2. Steel pipes
Steel pipes are used in main circumstances of water where the pipes go through a very high pressure even more than 7 kg/cm2 and require a large diameter pipe.
The strength power of these pipes is greater than Cast iron pipes and is also less in weight than that of Cast iron pipes. Satisfactory treatment should be given to maintain antagonistic climatic conditions.
3. Galvanized Iron pipes
Galvanized iron pipes are also known by the name GI pipes. These pipes are fashioned steel pipes with Zinc coating. The main purpose of use of these pipes is water supply and service connection.
An extra layer is coated over this pipe to protect the pipes from the crust and other climatic conditions. It is very useful and so nowadays it’s being used a lot. This pipe has basically small diameter so mainly used for household connections.
4. Copper pipes
Copper pipes are commonly used in hot water supply establishments. These pipes possess high tensile strength and also can be bent easily. These pipes can be used in thin walls. Sometimes copper pipes come with chromium-plated on them to enhance their look and to match with the chromium-plated water supply.
5. Polythene pipes
Nowadays this pipe is broadly popular and it is mainly used for cold water supply. These pipes can be used for both indoor and outdoor purposes because their chances of damage are very low and the chances of corrosion are similar to zero.
These pipes are cheaper in comparison to other pipes, and these pipes don’t need any specific care because it doesn’t damage as easily as the other pipes. These pipes don’t require any threading for mal=king any connection in this pipe.
Besides these pipes, there are also some other pipes commonly used in water distribution like Asbestos Cement pipes (AC Pipes), Reinforced Concrete Pipes (RCC), Prestressed Reinforced Concrete Pipes (PSC), etc.
The selection of the pipe for utilizing any purpose is done according to the design criteria, the material available, budget, and other comparative
Types of Pipe Joints in Plumbing System
- Threaded Joints
- Flanged Joints
- Spigot and socket joints
- Collar Joints
- Expansion Joints
- Socket or coupler joints
- Hydroulic pipe joints
- Nipple Joints
- Union joints
- Grooved Joints
Pipes joints play very important roles in the plumbing system. Joints are used to join two or more pipes. It is not possible to make a continuous pipe in the factory, so they are made into pieces to carry on the site, and then they are joined with each other to get along the piping system.
There are different types of joints used in the pipeline. It depends on the size, materials, Types of pipe for plumbing, and flow of water in the pipe. So here we are going to discuss about types of plumbing joints used in the water supply and which and when different types of joints are used.
- Threaded joints are connected using the screw mechanism and each of the pipes is connected at its end.
- Threaded pipes are available in various sizes ranging from 6 mm diameter to 300 mm diameter. It is not suitable for higher pressure and temperature.
- These types of joints are usually welded or screwed.
- The flanged joints are used where the intensity of pressure is high and where the pipes of relatively large diameter are used.
- A rubber gasket is provided between the two flanged when screwed or welded. It helps in the prevention of water leakage.
Spigot and socket joints
- These joints are mostly used in case of cast iron pipe for main and sub main pipeline. The plain end pipe is called spigot and expanded pipe is called socket or bell.
- Two pipes are connected by putting the plain end of the normal pipe into the socket of the other pipe.
- Collar joints are used in RCC pipes or asbestos pipes.
- Cement mortar of ratio is applied on the joints.
- It is a special type of joint and it is also known as a flexible joint.
- This joint is used for long-length metallic pipelines.
Socket or coupler joints
Socket or coupler joints are used when the size of the two joining pipes is the same. Couplers are a piece of iron or plastic. It has thread from the inner side. Two pipes are entered into a coupler to join them. These types of joints are used for low flow pressure and have small diameter pipes.
Hydroulic pipe joints
These joints are the same as the flanged joints. Two bolts are used to connect two pipes with each other. These types of pipes are used for lifting or providing pressure on the object.
These joints have a thread on each side. The great disadvantage of this joint is, its flow area reduces at the connection. Its diameter is less than the main joining pipes.
Union joints are the same as coupler joints. We need to rotate joints instead of two pipes to separate or join two pipes.
- The pipes are joined together by making a groove on each pipe and on its ends with help of a grooving machine.
- A gasket of rubber is fitted over the end of the two pipes.
- A rubber gasket at the end of the pipes helps to prevent leakage of air and make it air tight and water tight.
Hence there are types of pipe for plumbing and their joints used in the water supply systems.