What is a stone veneer retaining wall?
Stone veneer retaining walls are a great way to add a classy touch to your property. A lovely architectural installation like stone veneer retaining walls can perform many more for your place and property by adding five stars to its design.
It is a great investment for any owner of the property. Along with the things of decoration they are strong for safety and durable as well.
Here are a few things or points that you need to remember or keep in mind while you are planning to build a stone veneer retaining wall. Choosing the appropriate type of stone for your project is the priority work that you need to do first. Granite, sandstone, and limestone are some of the common choices for types of stone.
A stone veneer retaining wall is a type of thing that is used to support the weight of the soil behind it, so the design of a stone veneer retaining wall should be well-designed and properly constructed.
After that, you should think of the overall design of your property and select a stone veneer that can perfectly match your existing landscape.
Cost of building a stone veneer retaining wall
Depending upon several variables, including the type of stone used, the size of wall, and the complexity of the installation process, the price of building a stone veneer retaining wall vary differently.
Typically, the cost for installation of stone veneer retaining wall costs nearly about $30-$80 per square foot.
You should remember that the above estimate considers both the labor cost and material cost. The cost per square foot can be affected by the type of stone veneer selected, the location of the fitting, and additional features or finishings.
Time taken to build a stone veneer retaining wall.
Based on the size of the wall, the complexity of installation, and the level of expertise of contractor, the time required to construct a stone veneer retailing wall may vary differently. Making a stone retaining wall through the dry stake technique can take up to 1 to 2 days.
The above estimate is based on the wall having a height of no more than 3 feet and the project done immediately by skilled dyers.
This estimate shows only the time required to build the stone veneer retaining wall and this estimate does not include the time required to prepare the whole construction site or select materials or securing necessary permits and inspections.
The total time required for the project may vary depending on your specific needs
Can I install a stone veneer retaining wall myself?
Obviously, it is possible to install a stone veneer retaining wall yourself, but it is important to note that it may require a certain level of skill and experience because the installation process can be slightly complex.
How to build a retaining wall with stone veneer?
Covering retaining walls with stone veneer is a wonderful way to give a fantastic finish to your yard or even garden. Some instructions for building a retaining wall from stone veneer are discussed below:
a) Build a construction plan: Decide about the area where the wall will be built and decide the height and length of the wall.
b) Make a base trench: Dig a trench that is 12 inches wide and at least 6 inches deep.
The base of the wall should be made up of crushed stone so crushed stone should be poured into the trench and tamping should be done by hand.
Leveling of the stones in the first raw should be done before placing them on top of crushed stone base.
A proper drainage system should be installed for retaining walls by laying perforated drain tiles behind the wall and it should be well graveled.
c) Wall backfill: The space behind the wall should be filled with soil and make sure to compact it as you go.
d) Add additional levels: The stones should be placed in such a way that they can overlap the joints of row below them.
The finishing of the retaining wall should be done with the flat stone known as Capstones. The capstone rests on top of the last row of stones that complete the top level of the wall.
If the retaining wall is needed to be more than 3 feet, it should be handled by the professionals under direct observation of engineer while building and sealed as verification after completing the work.
The simplest way to build a stone veneer retaining wall is the dry stack method. This method does not require a concrete base like mortared walls. Because the dry stake walls allow for proper draining, water can easily pass through it.
Some benefits of stone veneer
There are several benefits of stone veneer retaining wall, which makes it one of the best choices for the owners. Some of the main benefits are discussed below.
- Enhanced Aesthetics: Stone veneer gives a cultural and prestigious enhancement to the surroundings of any space, that might be inside or outside. Its installation can be done on floors, ceilings, and walls to give a touch of natural beauty.
- Stone veneer is resistant to a wide range of weather conditions that may be intense heat, cold, rain or snow. It is extremely hard, so it is also resistant to rot, pests, and other types of damage.
- Versatility: There is a wide range of ways stone veneer can be used for applications and decor styles. It improves the prestigious value of any area and perfectly matches different architectural styles.
- Lower maintenance: Very little maintenance is needed for Stoe veneer in comparison to other materials. Almost no maintenance is required for stone veneer, and it also keeps looking good for a long time.
- Increase property value: The exterior attraction and visual appearance of the building are enhanced by a stone veneer. The value of your home is significantly increased by using stone veneer in comparison to other siding options like vinyl or stucco.
- Design option: Stone veneer comes in a variety of types and style that gives even more design options, and this should also be kept in mind.