There are many causes that may lead to the development of the crack in concrete structure. It may be due to artificial and natural causes.
Here I have described some important 10 points which lead to the cracks in the concrete structure like Column, Beam, Slab, etc
Cause of crack in concrete
- The cracks may develop If the quality of concrete (Raw materials) are not good.
- The cracks may develop if the mix (Cement, Sand, and Concrete) of concrete are not mixed properly.
- The cracks may develop if (water/cement) ratio in concrete is more or less than the required amount as per design.
- The crack may develop if there will be more space between main and distribution bars or are not placed according to design.
- The cracks may develop if the concrete cover had not provided according to a given design.
- The crack may develop If bending wires are not fully tight.
- The crack may develop if there is less reinforcement at any place.
- The crack may develop if the span of the sections is more according to a given design.
- The crack may develop due to lack of proper curing on the structure.
- The cracks may develop due to improper way of Shuttering/Formwork of the concrete structure.
How cracks in concrete can be avoided?
- Proper curing of concrete should be done until the hydration period of concrete.
- Proper quantity of ingredients should be mixed according to the design of concrete.
- The proper amount of water should be mixed while preparing concrete.
- Freshwater should be used for the preparation of concrete.
- Proper clear cover should be provided in the RCC structure.
Watch Video on Causes of Crack Developed in Concrete
8 Points to improve the Durability of Concrete structure
Advantages and Disadvantages of concrete- Types of Concrete
Compressive strength of concrete | Compressive strength test on concrete