Skim coat is a common home improvement technique that uses a thin layer of joint compound to smooth textured walls or repair damaged drywall to its original smooth surface.
The clean, smooth finish can allow the true color of paint to return without the shadowing effect knockdown or orange peel drywall finish textures can create. Skim coating materials can include various techniques & materials but it may be more costly than renovations on a large scale.
Tools and supplies used in skim coat
Tools used for skim coating of Wall
1) Drop cloth
Using a drop cloth or paper below the work area can protect the floor surface from drips between the mud pan & the wall. You can also use painter’s tape to frame your target surface with the drop cloth to protect trim & molding. In addition, using a drop cloth can ultimately reduce your cleanup time.
2) Drywall compound
You can purchase either a dry mix or ready mix drywall compound, depending upon the surface area needed to cover.
3) Paint roller
Although a texture sprayer may be the most efficient strategy to achieve a thin layer of drywall mud on the surface of the wall. A paint roller could be a cost-effective option.
4) Paint tray or five-gallon bucket
Before the application, you will need to mix up drywall mud. Make sure that, you have enough mixture to complete an entire area section or wall, then prepare the mixture in a bucket that can easily move near the working area.
5) Putty knife:-
After applying the first coat of mud, use a squeegee-like tool to remove excess mud & fill in areas where one coat has not filled in gaps or valleys between the nuances in texture. Using a putty knife or drywall knife can also help address edges & corners where a taping mistake is made.
Step to skim coating a wall or ceiling
After collecting all required tools & materials for your project, you may require to practice on a small area of drywall or a cut-off piece of gypsum before attempting to tackle a whole wall. Follow the instruction which is given below to get the best results from the first skim coat.
Prepare work area:- Cover the areas that may not be skim-coated. Electrical circuits & light switches should be shut down. Remove faceplates & cover the outlets or light switches with painter’s tape.
Mix the drywall compound:- A light-body drywall should be used. Since the compound serves no structural purpose, a heavy body compound is not necessary. Mix the drywall compound on the basis of the mix ratio. Often, it is better to short water slightly to produce a heavier, sticker product. This gives the skim coat more strength, plus it is cleaner to apply.
Apply the first coat of mud:- If a thick nap paint roller is used to apply the first coat, it is advisable to work on small areas of the wall at a time to fix a consistent coat with similar drying times.
Light the work area at an angle:- A common contractor trick to make that the skim is evenly applied & covering all unwanted textures is to put a light source at an angle to the target surface.
Trowel the first coat:- Using an edged tool such as a trowel or taping knife can facilitate your smoothing down the initial coat & fill the mud into any void that the roller missed. It is important to use the squeegee tool in the same direction as applying the mud when using the roller.
Sand the wall between coats:- The troweling step can develop noticeable lines where strokes overlap. Drywall sanding may be easy to fix for this after the first coat has dried. For hard-to-reach sanding areas, a pole sander can be used. This tool can extend to reach & help to smooth out walls before applying the second coat.
Advantages and Disadvantages of skim coat
A) Advantages of skim coat
- It has more processes but the cost is low & easy to apply for any person. If you dislike the present texture, it’s a perfect way to replace it without any pay for previous work.
- If you want to cover your wall or skim coating, you will get a smooth surface. As a result, you can print to the wall or ceiling easily print gives to smooth & brighter.
- A skim coat will give a stunning look of room & it can create the ceiling to layer less blend in the wall. It also gives the natural light for a bright & aerial home.
- If you want to cover the skim coat wall, then you will repair it easier for any damage because this method is easier than other methods.
B) Disadvantage of skim coat
- It is more workable & skilled process. That’s why the skim coating process is more expansive than applying for textured walls & ceilings. It requires greater time for painting because the skim coat drying process is slow.
- A damaged area of the skim coat is more visible than the textured wall method.
- It is so hard to apply a skim coat for an unprofessional person because it is a large & difficult process. An unprofessional man is not good for the finishing of walls & ceilings. So, for this, a professional person is required.
It is one of the best methods for the smooth surface of walls & ceilings. A skim coat gives the new look to the old wall & ceiling.